Sexual Assault Response Team
Next Training: Spring 2013 (Training dates: April 6th - June 5th)
"Research shows that when a survivor receives compassionate support during the initial response, it has a significant impact on her healing"
- Provide immediate emotional support to survivors of recent sexual assaults
- Facilitate accompaniment to hospital, and medical/police involvement as requested by the survivor.
- Provide information regarding medical and forensic procedures, and options for reporting to police. Survivors are given the opportunity to make informed choices.
- Provide information on follow-up counselling and justice-related services available through Women's Sexual Assault Centre.
- Provide support and information to family and other support people who are present with the survivor
- Represent the Women?s Sexual Assault Centre in a professional manner and advocate on behalf of the survivor when necessary.
- three on-call shifts per month for a year (36 shifts total)
- shifts include overnights and weekends
- Trainings are offered twice a year; once in the fall and once in the spring. It is a 45 hour training program over a two month period facilitated by WSAC staff and counsellors. Training provides both skill development and personal growth work through a series of lectures and role play opportunities.
- over 19 years
- self-identify as a woman
- criminal record check
- lives in the greater Victoria area
- Application: We ask that all potential SART volunteers fill out an application form. All information given in the application remains confidential. To receive an application either contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at email@example.com, or print, fill & print or fill & email an application form from the links to the form below
- Interview: After completion and review of the application, all potential volunteers will be scheduled an interview with the Coordinator of Volunteers. This gives us a chance to learn more about you as well as an opportunity for you to learn more about the program.
- Acceptance: After an interview and reference check, all volunteers will be informed by the Coordinator of Volunteers if they have been accepted into training.
- Training: It is 45hrs training over a two month period - volunteers are required to attend every session.
- Final Review: After evaluation from training, all volunteers will be informed by the Coordinator of Volunteers if they have been accepted as a SART volunteer.
SART Application [ PDF ] [ WORD ]
- Spring 2013 (Training dates: April 6th - June 5th). Applications due March 20th, 2013.
If you wish to apply or would like more information, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at 250-383-5545 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WSAC is committed to being representative of the community we serve and encourages applications from women of diverse and marginalized groups.
Thank you for volunteering with us! We look forward to hearing form you!